Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Knee surgery and "resting"

Last summer, while working on the Beetle, Bryan tore his medial meniscus in his knee. The Doctors told him it wasn't going to get better without surgery. That happened on Thursday. On Friday I had some stuff I needed to do in town. He is on crutches and really not supposed to walk around much. I got everything arranged by the couch. Apples and a banana in case he got hungry, books, remotes, glasses, water, medication... You get the idea. I headed in to town. 10 minutes after I left he saw Dakota in the small pasture. Now, we hadn't moved the horses yet so this should not be. He gets his crutches, goes into the laundry room, looks out, sees that the corral gate is wide open. No Montana anywhere. He hobbles to the dining room and looks out that window. There is Montana in the top corner of the small pasture. But, both gates on the small pasture are wide open. So, he crutches his way across the lawn to close the top gate. Because he has the horses trained to come to him when he is out with them they start walking to where he is. He crutches down the lawn, across the back yard and down the path to the bottom gates. The horses come with him and he has to chase them away because if they get out, well... He had to put the gate poles back in, retrieve the small gate from the corner and put it in back in it's place between the big gates and chain them all shut. AND it was only 39 degrees out and he was in a t-shirt, shorts and barefoot. All this on crutches and laughing about the fact that I had put everything he could possibly need by him so he wouldn't have to get up and around much. Ok so... (you thought this story was done) I get home at noon to get him some lunch and be home with him for the day. I look out across the pond and say, "Looks like the neighbors boat blew away from their dock." Bryan looks out and says "Where is my boat?" I say "Looks like your boat is across the pond. What form of mischief is going on here! Horse gate open, boat unclipped from it's boathouse!" So I put on my rain boots and drove around to the other side and tied it to a tree, called Bryan's friend, Chan, and he came over later and brought it back for us. It is a complicated rearranging of wires to switch it from the solar wiring to using the trolling motor and I never use the boat, so thankfully Chan could help out. I did have to take a picture of the batteries so Bryan could talk Chan through it.
We have had some good laughs about all this. Bryan is doing great and is very tired of the crutches and laying on the couch. You know what a lounger he is...

No comments:

Post a Comment