Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

6 shells and the butt of a gun...

We have a muskrat problem here at the Ironhorse Acres. We thought we only had two, and as reported way earlier, Bryan killed one. Oh no, we had a whole colony that was fast becoming it's own country. Captain and Tennille, I don't understand your "Muskrat Love" song. They are gross, ratlike swimming things! Why? Why did you write a love song about them? ANYWAY!! The other evening Bryan saw one swimming by the boat house so he got the shotgun, grabbed some shells and took off down the path for the pond. I look out the kitchen window and he is taking aim, boom, 1 down. Then I hear 3 more shots. He comes in the house says, "4 down. Ran out of shells and there are more coming to investigate." Grabs more shells and heads out the door. I hear 2 more shots. He comes in. "Well, there are 7 dead muskrats down there and I am out of shells. There is 1 more that I can see." 6 shots...7 dead? "One was wounded and was running through the pasture so I jumped the fence, chased him down and finished him with the butt of my shotgun." Why wasn't I out there filming!!? When Ashley came home she said "Please tell me you took pictures or something!" So sorry, folks, only a story. But a good one. In case you are wondering why we kill them, it is because they dig holes in the dam and that ruins the dam. In other news, I finished the final little bit of winterizing I had left to do on the chicken house. While I was at it I put a fake stained glass window into the door.
 It looks like a classy outhouse chicken house now.  They have a light in there now for warmth so it will shine through that at night. Halfway through the project I thought "Why do I do this sort of thing?" But I like it now that it is done. 
Bryan may wonder about my sanity but then maybe that isn't a new thing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment