Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Amani's Day -

Before Amani's birthday her grandma asked me if I would be willing to spend some time with Amani in an art lesson. Saturday was that day. So I got out all the papers, stickers, glue, scissors, rulers and things we needed to make a book. Things that I thought a 6 year old would enjoy using.
"Let's start our art, Patti." 
So we began and 15 minutes {and 234 questions} later she said, while looking out to the pond, 
"I sort of bored of this art can we go fishing? Or do something else?" 
Best laid plans...
So we got out the ingredients and made Monster Cookies. {682 questions later}
 "Only put in M&M's and chocolate chips. I don't like other stuff."
 "Why am I measuring so much oatmeal?"
"That's what the recipe says to put in. 4 and 1/2 cups"
"Well, that felt more like 5 to me."
"Do you want to work on your book some more?"
"No, what I really want to do is eat a cookie and play with the dogs."

"Can we go fishing now?"
"I need to fix some lunch for us and for Bryan, then we will."
 So we had a picnic.
"Uh...what kind of apples are these?"
"Honeycrisp."
"Oh, that's my favorite! Good."
 "Are you about done so we can fish?"
Finally! 
We fished for awhile and since none were biting we gave that up in order to play with the dogs some more. 
Believe me, I loved it since it was a beautiful day.
"Can we get the eggs now?"
So we got the basket and went to gather the eggs.
The new chickens had laid 2 in their boxes.

 We went into the barn to search for the eggs that the other 4 laid.
We only found one up in the hay.
"Why is there only one egg and there is 4 chickens?"
"Why do they lay their eggs up in the hay?"...
 "Can we go back and see if there are anymore eggs in the other chicken house yet?"
Me: "It doesn't happen that fast."
"Why not? I need to check anyway."
So...she checked. No eggs. Huh.
Me: "How about if you feed and water them?"


{3712 questions later} "Will these eggs hatch into baby chicks?" "No" "Why not?" "We don't have a rooster." "What?" "Well, in order for the eggs to hatch you need a rooster." {OH NO, I'M GETTING IN DEEP HERE!} "WHAT? Why?" "Well, you know how it takes a mom and a dad to have a baby?" "What?" "Never mind. Just trust me it takes a rooster and we don't have one." "Why don't you have a rooster?" "We don't want chicks, we just want eggs we can eat." 
"Why wouldn't you want chicks?" 
"HEY, Let's finish that book we started! Grandma will want to see it so we better finish."
We went in and printed out pictures and finished the book. Amani wrote the captions and glued the pictures in where she wanted them. It turned out great. Then it was time to go home. We hopped in the Bug and headed into town. Then as we got to town the Bug decided to die {fuel filter issues we will solve soon} so we had Bryan rescue us and we headed to her house. As we were driving Amani said "WOW, I've never been in a car accident before." "Well, that was just car trouble, not an accident." "You mean it died on purpose?" "Never mind." She looked at her book the whole way home and said "Whenever I am sad I will just get this book out and look at it and it will make me happy because it was such a good day." 
{4275 questions later} It was all worth it. She is a darling girl and delightful to be around. 
We had a great day. I think Cathy gave me a gift as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment