Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Backstage...

Part of what I do at church is make stage props for certain themes. This past week I have worked on making huge masks for a weekend coming up. I just thought maybe someone might like to see the progression of what it takes to get these things done.
This is a 4'x8' sheet of insulation foam. (We use this stuff for a lot of things!) I had drawn out one half of a mask on paper for my pattern, then transfered it to the foam. 
I use a small hand saw to cut the foam. Then using acrylic polyurethane I basically do what we used to do with small squares of tissue paper and bottles. I cut pieces of tissue in the color I want and then start painting them down onto the foam. On this particular mask I wanted the more organic look and only did one layer so the green wouldn't be solid. The black mask has 3 layers.
Once that is done and dried I begin to add on my embellishments.
Done.
Done. This black one has a built out nose area just to give it a different look.
Corner detail on both masks.
Each mask probably took me 5 hours to complete.
So just a little peek into my backstage life. In some of the other pictures I noticed that you can see other giant stuff I have built. (gas can and the back of a giant coffee cup) Our stage is so huge that these things don't really look that big once they are out there.
When the masks are on stage I will take a picture of that and add it to this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment