Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Chair makeover-

Years ago I found this little wingback chair at a thrift store for $10. It was a dirty beige color but I liked the shape and size of it. It sat for awhile as dirty beige then one day I read that if you mixed fabric medium with paint you could paint a chair and it would still feel like fabric...you must need to use a lot of fabric medium to a little paint because it didn't feel like sitting on a chair, it felt like you were sitting on a painting. So it sat in the office not being used until I did the office makeover and thought to myself "I recovered an entire couch. Why is one little chair a problem?" Commence chair makeover.
 First I used large sheets of paper and drew out all the pieces of the chair. Then I cut them out of the fabric.
 Next I took the fabric pieces and placed them on the chair wrong side out and pinned them together all the way around the chair. LOTS of pins and pinning for a person who never pins when she sews...but very important step not to be avoided. (trust me...been there, done that...doesn't work)
 Sew all the seams together and pray really hard. Clip some seams, turn it and pull the whole thing over the chair. Tuck in the seams, staple the bottom edge to the bottom of the chair...
And there you have it, a completely new look to an old mistake. I am still deciding of it needs the little "skirt" that goes around the bottom edge. 

1 comment: