Pages

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cowboy Poetry and Music - Day 2

Yesterday we had reservations on the Durango/Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. It was a train ride I will never forget. I can't even describe how fun it was or how beautiful. Bryan had booked our tickets and opted to have us ride in the open cars. Good choice!

We left Durango at about 10 a.m. It was just such a beautiful day! Probably in the 50's at the warmest. 
As we went along so many people were stopped along the tracks taking pictures of the train. I thought about that and then realized that even if I lived there and saw it everyday I would probably stop what I was doing and watch it go by. The fall colors were so amazing. 

I apologize if you get tired of seeing pictures of the train in different situations but it was just so amazing I can't help myself!
It was the Cowboy Poetry and Music Train so as we went a long different cowboys and cowgirls came and sang and recited their poems to us. 
The train passes right behind Honeyville, which is owned by my dad's cousin. It is just down on the road below this little display.
Chan looking out at the scenery.
I just love this sound!

It was a long way down...


Here we are on the train.

We were heading into Cascade Canyon.
This singer built her own banjos and was just so nice and a good singer. We did hear "Ghost Riders in the Sky" quite a few times. But it fit the occasion.

This guy got my vote for best mustache and best stories and poems. He was so funny!
We stopped in Cascade Canyon for lunch. It was amazing BBQ sandwiches and chips. It tasted amazing out there in the sunshine and next to the river. This train ride was just to Cascade Canyon so 2 hours there and 2 hours back after lunch. But while there we had time to really see the train and the scenery.

Why does food always taste so much better outside in the sun? 
Here are all 6 of us at the Canyon.
Four of the perfromers in front of our train in the canyon.
 Tim and Chan enjoying lunch by the river.
All Aboard, time to head back to Durango. This train ride only went to the canyon and back. The full round-trip train ride to Silverton is about and 8-9 hour day. 
One more of the train on the way back.
I would not be a true Pierson if I hadn't brought a rock back from the canyon. It wasn't a tiny rock either. Oh, I had small rocks also...
At supper time we all met back at the hotel and decided to eat in the Saloon there at the hotel. It was a good choice. Piano music and good food. After supper the performers gathered in the lobby and we stayed down there listening to great music for several hours. The little girl on the fiddle was 12 and no matter what song they suggested she kept up without missing a beat. The cello and gut bucket just made the night for Bryan.

It was a great end to a long, wonderful day.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Made even better by the fact that I had just been to see Mom and Dad and heard stories about a lot of these things. It was a beautiful, wild place.

      Delete