Pages

Friday, May 15, 2015

Rain, rain go away...

I want to use my new lawn mower...
33 years of marriage later we actually own a brand new lawn mower. Not one that someone was getting rid of and asked if we wanted it, not one that was built out of 3 old lawn mowers that someone was getting rid of and asked if Bryan wanted them for parts and he built one out of all three that has lasted 15 years...Happy Mother's Day to me. While he was in Israel I was trying to start the old lawnmower to do the trimming and when I pulled to start it, it locked up and the pull start handle slammed into my hand and bruised it and caused my right arm to not want to work for a few days. So when Bryan got home he went to start it for me and, minus the bruises and pain, it did the same thing to him. He just looked at me and said "Maybe after 33 years it is time to get a lawn mower you can actually use." I fell to my knees and...not really, I was on gravel it would have hurt but let me just say I almost danced back to the house. It came yesterday and I want to use it but we are getting this again...
That's right, flooding rains. We did have one sunny day this week on Tuesday and it took me 4 hours with the riding mower to mow the lawn. It was so thick and deep. Usually it takes me 1 hour. I had to mow over each part 4 times to get it cut. I got a nice tan and since it was a lovely day I loved being outside. Planted a few zinnias. I need a bunch more but it's a bit wet to plant right now so...
A farmer friend gave Bryan a huge posthole digger that attaches to a tractor PTO and said he just didn't have the tools or time to fix it so if Bryan wanted it he could have it. That is talking Bryan's language. He, of course, fixed it, built a rack to store it on and is just waiting for the ground to dry so he can move the fence to put in a shed to store the mowers and lawn equipment in. 
He also surprised me by telling me that he will build a playhouse (I have mourned the one that he built the girls, which we had to leave behind when we moved to Lincoln, for years!) when he is done with the shed. I am super excited about this. I realize that it isn't the one that was so much a part of the girl's chiildhood but it just is something that I have wanted for so long. The kids who come out here will love it. I think we are going to put it across from the basement door on a deck with the back facing the pond so that the front door faces the house. Anyway something fun to look forward to! 
Took this picture of Bobbi and Travis' dogs, Jax and Josie, the other day when Bryan was over there,
with Travis, trying to fix the back of their house to prevent more flooding. Hopefully it has helped because it is a day to test the work...

No comments:

Post a Comment