Pages

Friday, October 15, 2010

The Bug Chronicles...

On Monday evening (Yes, this is Friday and I am finally telling you a story from Monday. I was embarrassed, ok, took me awhile to get over it. Not really, I just decided to tell it.) ANYWAY...Bryan brought the Volkswagon home from the guy we got it from. He had to borrow a trailer that had a ramp and stuff like that. When he got here, he needed help getting the car off the trailer. I went out there wearing flip-flops. First we have to unload the thing. He unchains it from the trailer and then says, "Ok, hop in and make sure the brakes don't just go to the floor." I get in, check the brakes and think they are ok but what do I know. He says, "I will push the car onto the edge of the trailer and when I get there, you put the brakes on and I will guide you down the ramps, into the shed." Sounds good. But the hitch, at this point, is that the trailer is tilted uphill and the car wants to roll the wrong way. Bryan says "I am going to just pull the trailer out a little to the flat spot on the drive." I am still in the car on the trailer, of course. Why I was unprepared for the car to start rolling toward the end of the trailer is beyond me. Just wasn't thinking about it, I suppose. Minor freak out on my part. Fortunately for me there was a ramp and the brakes did work. I stopped it at the edge of the trailer. Did I mention that the ramp wasn't exactly the greatest ramp in the world? It had a huge gapping hole right where the car needed to go down and it needed a board there. Bryan hops out and says, "What's the panic? The brakes worked and there is a ramp." Always so calm. Annoying. But not really. He pushes the car onto the ramp, helps me avoid the hole and the car is on the driveway, but it still needs to go into the shed which is still at a slight uphill slope. I say, "Oh, Volkswagons aren't that heavy, let's just push it into the shed." Bryan goes to the back end, I put it in neutral and we start to push it up the slight incline to the shed. We have a rock driveway, I am wearing flip-flops, (I am just reviewing since I am getting, finally, to the embarrassing part) the car is really heavier than I remembered  and I am at the driver's side of the car with the door open. I am pushing with all my might, the car is going forward slowly and my feet slip out from under me, I do some sort of body slam onto the driveway and roll under the car. Bryan can't help me because he is keeping the car from rolling over me and I am laughing so hard I can't get up, so I just had to  roll over, out from under the car. I know as soon as I stand up that I am going to have a major bruise on an area where no one will ever see it. (You notice there are no visuals with this blog.) Honestly, I wish there would have been a video because it must have been hilarious, but you will just have to use your imaginations. The car finally did find it's home in the shed and I am still walking upright so no harm done. 
I will keep you posted on the progress of the restoration. I need to get some before pictures. Project for today because, if you know Bryan at all, the thing will be half done before I can even take one picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment