Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A whispered wish remembered...

I don't always expect Bryan to hear everything I say. (Actually, it is probably a really good thing he doesn't. I am not always the nice person you see here.) But one day, last spring, as we were driving to Beatrice, to get a couple more chicks, we passed an old 1970 Volkswagon that was for sale. $8000.00. As we drove by, I was looking out the window and just sort of said to myself, "Oh, I would love to have a Volkswagon, just for fun. They are just so cute." We went to Tractor Supply, ran our errands and came home. 
That was last spring.
Yesterday, Bryan came home from work, we ate supper and while we ate he said, "There is an old 1972 Volkswagon parked in a field up on 82nd and Bennett Road that's for sale. Let's go look at it." Me "Ok." So he calls the guy and we go look at it. It runs, there is one front fender very damaged that needs replacing and the interior is in sort of sad shape. A fixer upper. So we chat with the guy and then we are driving away and Bryan says "So do you want it?" Me, amazed "Well, I would love it, but it really isn't necessary and I'm just not sure that I should have it just because of a whim, so no, we probably shouldn't. It was fun to look at though. So no, we don't need to get it." He remembered my whispered wish from last spring. 
Turns out he has kept his eye out for a really good deal all this time. 
Cut to this afternoon. 
Phone rings. 
"Are you sure you won't kick yourself? I would enjoy the process of  fixing it up and then if you decide you really don't want it we can get the little bit that it cost back out of it. You've got your Volkswagon. I called Ed and it's yours." 
Oh, my word! I can't tell you how excited I am to be able to buzz around in this little beauty. He is going to repaint it for me sort of Robin's egg blue. 
Thank you, Bryan, for hearing my heart.

1 comment:

  1. And now, "Eye wanna VeeDub!" How sweet. Have fun. Post pictures when it is robin's egg blue. Love you! Raye

    ReplyDelete