Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

So I was in the bathroom...

I can guess what you are thinking. "Patti, that is way too much information and really we don't want to hear about it." But I think you do want to hear this, because a lot of you were in there with me. It was the basement bathroom and I had walked in to throw something in the garbage and noticed a signature on the wall that I hadn't seen before. That caused me to start to read the walls. So many memories came back to me of all the wonderful times that we have had in this house. All the amazing people who have spent time with us and allowed us a part in their lives. This, of course, made me start to cry because so much time has gone by and lives change and people move away and kids grow up. But being in there and, in a sense, "hearing" all those kids that I love "talk" to me was extremely precious. 

I saw Sam Swartz's signature and remembered the friend of his, Jeff Christy, who would come out, turn on the T.V. to ESPN, lay down on the floor in the family room and fall fast asleep every time. Somehow this is always one of my favorite memories, mainly because all the other kids out here would be running around or in the basement hanging out and he felt comfortable enough to act like it was his own home. 

I was reminded by Andrew Olive's note that he, Quinn and Adam used to come out at 5 a.m. and fish and then at 8:00 a.m. they would come in and eat huge pancake breakfasts and then fall asleep in the family room but not before I had read them "Little Black Sambo". 

Alyssa Helmink's name reminded me of the time that she and Jayme spent an entire day diving off the dock and swimming, ate a huge popcorn ball, made s'mores and then the next day were so sick from too much sun. Ashley and Jill Wieskamp's "Boys = Poopy".
 Bobbi's 4x100 Relay team and the times they spent here. I know I could go on and on but you get the idea.
10 years of signatures and comments. 
10 years of amazing times and people.
10 years, lots of food and drink later, and I have never once regretted putting a pack of permanent markers in that bathroom.
I am often asked if it will be hard to repaint that room. Are they insane? Why would I ever paint over a masterpiece?  

No comments:

Post a Comment